Monday, February 7, 2011

Angel Food Ministries

So of course I have been remiss. The holidays were brutal and I did not stay on track like I wanted to. Recently, I learned about http://www.angelfoodministries.com/. You do not have to have a certain income to obtain groceries through this ministry. I bought a $31 box, and I am going to see how many meals I can make and at what additional cost. I am already pretty pumped about it so far! Here is what is included for that price:

1.5 lbs. Choice Beef Netted Roast with Pop-up Timer
2.5 lbs. IQF Split Chicken Breast (Resealable Bag)
2 lbs. Breaded Chicken Breast Assorted Pieces
1.5 lbs.Fully-Cooked Meatballs
2 lbs. Fully-Cooked Minestrone Soup
1 lb. Lean Ground Beef
1 lb. Sweet Italian Sausage
1 lb. Yellow Squash & Zucchini
1 lb. Sugar Snap Peas & Carrots
5 lbs. Waffle Fries
6.9 oz. Beef-Flavored Rice & Vermicelli
1 lb. Pasta
25 oz. Pasta Sauce
1 lb. Northern Dry Beans
18 oz. Quick Oatmeal
32 oz. Shelf-Stable Milk
1 Dozen Eggs
1 Dessert

Sausage and beans aside, because I do not cook with pork and I don't have the first clue what to do with dry beans!

I picked up the groceries Saturday, January 29th. My menu so far:
1/29 Minestrone soup
1/30 Spaghetti and meatballs
1/31 Chicken in Orange sauce (http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/chicken-and-broccolini-orange-sauce/?utm_source=top10july&emc=lm&m=1377001&l=6&v=914495) (extra cost: broccoli, orange marmalade, chicken stock, rice, soy sauce)
2/1 Spring Chicken (http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/spring-chicken-meat-sauce-and-papardelle/?utm_source=top10july&emc=lm&m=1377001&l=22&v=914495) (Extra cost: pasta, veggies, tomato paste)
2/2 Roast (cooked in crock pot. extra cost: potatoes, beef stock, onion soup mix)
2/3 Bacon and eggs and toast (Addtional cost: bacon and bread)
2/4 Dinner meeting for hubby--FREE!!!
2/5 Oatmeal and pancakes (extra cost: pancake mix and blueberries)
2/6 Lunch: church function; dinner: Super Bowl party--FREE!!!
Tonight's menu is Bowties (http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=3460) (Additional cost: pasta, almonds, tomatoes, lettuce). I still have meat/food for: a meatloaf with mashed potatoes and veggies, meatballs and the rice mix and veggies. I am pretty sure this puts me at only about $20 extra dollars in additional costs for going on 2 weeks of dinners! Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment